Welcome to New Zealand
Welcome to Christchurch
Thank you for your interest in the VR Virtual Conference 2020, NZ version.
An exciting event has been designed to create a shared, hybrid (face-to-face and virtual) experience for attending the IEEE VR 2020 Conference (ieeevr.org/2020/) being held at the same time on the other side of the world, in Atlanta, USA.
Event Timing: 23-27 March 2020
Event Address: Whēki, University of Canterbury Dovedale Campus, Room 302, Ilam, Christchurch, 8014, NZ
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no cost for attendance, but in order to plan a positive experience, we need to know who intends to come.
We are putting together a programme for the NZ event, and will post it here before the event starts.
You must also please register for IEEE VR 2020 as an online participant.
It will give you access to more details and information that will be sent to you as an attendee.
In terms of health & safety for COVID-19, we have the following measures planned
1) We ask any participant who feels unwell to self-isolate, and notify the organisers immediately. If you feel unwell, don’t come in!
2) We will have hand-sanitiser and alcohol wipes available in the conference rooms.3) We will carefully wipe down surfaces in the rooms with alcohol wipes each day (and at spot times).
4) We prefer if participants would bring their own VR headsets for use during the conference. However, we have sourced about 25 VR headsets of various types for use during the conference.
5) Since we have sourced so many headsets, we will assign each participant a labelled dedicated headset for use during the conference, so that there will be minimal “sharing” of headsets.6) We will have “ninja masks” and audio headphone covers for VR headsets.
Of course, we encourage everyone to follow the guidelines of the Ministry of Health in terms of hand washing, coughing, etc.
Almost all of the sessions (papers, panels, keynotes, etc.) for the IEEE VR 2020 Conference in Atlanta (ATL) will be live-streamed on Twitch. In addition, there will be several 3D Virtual Spaces created for some of the sessions where this makes sense. Because there will be several types of streams, we will have a number of different technologies at the physical site that participants can use to experience the sessions.
Since the maximum number of scheduled simultaneous sessions is three, we will have three physical rooms with large displays, so people can “vote with their feet” which one they would like to attend. In addition, we will have several VR headsets and PCs for people to join at desks in the rooms, meaning people can try out different VR headsets and compare the experiences. We hope people will try out several, so we can have a lively, informed discussion.
Attendees are also asked to bring their own laptops for normal use. UC has eduroam as the main wireless access. Wired access will also be provided for those who need it.
In general, the plan for the NZ site are:
- We will meet at 6:30am NZ time each day to group-watch the ATL afternoon sessions live-streamed.
- Those wanting to watch the ATL morning sessions, starting at 2:00am NZ time, we advise doing so from your home/motel, since the physical rooms will not be accessible until 6:00am each day.
- Following the live-stream each day, we will have activities involving local participants, including panel discussions, a Q&A session specifically for students aspiring to an academic career, an ideation session around future uses of VR, a tour of the HIT Lab NZ, a walk in the Port Hills, an AR walking tour of Christchurch, board gaming, and more.
- In the evenings, we will have some more-social activities, including dining out. The costs for off-site events, such as evening meals, will need to be covered by each attendee.
We have also been able to secure some rate discounts at local motels, which you can find below.
You will need to reference the “IEEE VR” and book directly through them.
62 Creyke Road, Ilam
Phone: +64 3 351 9347
Free: 0800 18 47 18
166 Riccarton Rd, Riccarton
Phone: +64 3 982 8162
Reservations: 0800 166 888 (within NZ)